Johann Sebastian Bach. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Romans 8:1-2,4,9-11 [German]
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
As heard in movements of the work:
- Jesu, meine Freude (1st stanza)
- Es ist nun nichts Verdammliches (based on Romans 8:1,4)
- Unter deinem Schirmen (2nd stanza)
- Denn das Gesetz (à 3, based on Romans 8:2)
- Trotz dem alten Drachen (3rd stanza)
- Ihr aber seid nicht fleischlich (fugue, based on Romans 8:9)
- Weg mit allen Schätzen (4th stanza)
- So aber Christus in euch ist (à 3, based on Romans 8:10)
- Gute Nacht, o Wesen (à 4, 5th stanza)
- So nun der Geist (based on Romans 8:11)
- Weicht, ihr Trauergeister (6th stanza)
Jesu, meine Freude (motet, 1723), by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
Performed by Bach-Kantorei
Jesu, meine Freude e minor, BWV 227 (Motet for two mixed choirs). By Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750). Edited by Konrad Ameln. For SSATB choir, instruments ad lib (2 oboes, bassoon, strings, basso continuo) (Mixed Choir: SSATB/Instruments ad libitum (2 Oboes/Bassoon/Strings/Basso continuo)). This edition: Stapled, Urtext edition. Stapled. Chor-Archiv. Sacred. Level 4. Choral score. BWV 227. Duration 25 minutes. Published by Baerenreiter Verlag (BA.BA5132).
FREE SHEET MUSIC
Choral Public Domain Library